New version 7.0 and Rio 10.3

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      marc balestri
      Participant

Hi Ray

i want ask if it would be possible to install the latest version on the KSVC in the old version of Rio. I have some projects that i cannot move rightnow to the latest versions of Delphi and KSVC also if i am acquiring it so i would like to know if is there a way or not becouse the new version use specific features of latest Delphi that are not present in the v .10.3

Thank you
        Marc

Ray Konopka
        Keymaster

Hi Marc,
          Embarcadero has stated that in order to provide HiRes support, it needed to make some changes that would prevent it from being used in earlier versions of Delphi. When the components were owned by Raize Software, I would ensure that backward compatibility be maintained by using conditional compilation. Unfortunately, that is something that Embarcadero (and before that CodeGear and Borland) have never done. They have only focused on moving forward.

Unfortunately, I have not had time to review the specific changes that Embarcadero made for supporting HiRes, so I’m not even sure if it would be possible to conditionally wrap the modifications.

Ray

marc balestri
          Participant

Hi Ray

Thanks for your reply. yes your solution to use a conditional define would be the best solution as like it was done in the past from many components for and delphi and pascal from when they were born ….

I don’t know this way to think only to move only forward how much would help delphi to have more diffusion compared to other languages …

best regards

Marc

Ray Konopka
            Keymaster

This has always been a philosophical debate between Borland/CodeGear/Embarcadero and 3rd-Party Vendors. Delphi has always been developed using the “moving forward” only approach. Once a new version of Delphi is released, older versions stop receiving updates.

Technically, 3rd-Party vendors do the exact same thing. For example, once CodeSite 5 was released, we stopped updating CodeSite 4.

However, the difference is that 3rd-Party vendors support multiple versions of Delphi, and because of that, 3rd-Party vendors design their code to reflect that. With KSVC, the library is maintained by Embarcadero and they consider the library an extension of their current code base.

Ray

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.