Logfile requires Dispatcher?

CodeSite logging interface classes: default "CodeSite" logger, T|CodeSiteLogger class, destinations, formatters, etc.

Logfile requires Dispatcher?

Postby GNiessen » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:40 am

Does the Logfile destination require that the usershave the dispatcher installed?

I have an app with exception handling going to CodeSite, with destination to a logfile. If I run it I can see the csl file created. But if one of the users runs it, I am not seeing any csl file generated. I thought I remembered that the Logfile did not require the dispatcher.
GNiessen

Re: Logfile requires Dispatcher?

Postby GNiessen » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:42 am

I seem to have confirmed this. I logged into a machine which I installed the distributable files. And it logged to file. But on another machine that did not have the files installed, it did not log. Was this different back in CS3 or 4?
GNiessen

Postby Raize Support » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:43 pm

Currently, the generation of log files still requires the CodeSite Dispatcher to be present.

Ray
Raize Software Support
Raize Software
http://www.raize.com
Raize Support

Postby GNiessen » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:54 am

I am also seeing issues with the process not even running if the dispatcher is not found.

I have logging in a DLL that is called by several applications. And I added logging to catch any exceptions and send them to a log file. But it has significantly slowed the DLL and if there is no dispatcher, then it does not seem to run at all. I loaded the CS_Tools on several of the users PC's and it seems to be running. But it still seems slow. I will have to remove the logging and verify that that is the issue. But that is what appears to be the issue so far.
GNiessen

Postby Raize Support » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:06 pm

I'm not sure I fully understand all of the details. I understand that you have a DLL that makes calls to CodeSite in order to log exception messages and other logging data.

When your DLL makes a call to CodeSite, the CodeSite logger object will check to see if the Dispatcher is running. If the Dispatcher is not running, the logger will try to start it. If the Dispatcher is not installed on the machine, then the logger will disable itself, which means the logger will not try look for nor start the dispatcher again. When the logger is disabled, there is no impact on the execution of your code. I suppose, if you are forcing the logger to become Enabled again, then the logger could be checking for the dispatcher and trying to start it.

When the Dispatcher is present, the logger in your DLL will send its logging messages to the Dispatcher. The Dispatcher queues these messages and returns control back to the logger. If you are generating a lot of messages, it is possible that the Dispatcher is working harder to queue the incoming messages and then write them out. You can see this by looking at the Dispatcher icon (if it is visible in the system tray). The interior of the logo will become more solidly yellow as the workload increases. However, the priority of the Dispatcher is in the queuing of the messages, so control returns more quickly to your application.

Ray
Raize Software Support
Raize Software
http://www.raize.com
Raize Support

Return to Loggers