CSDispatcher Port conflicts and network slow down

CodeSite logging interface classes: default "CodeSite" logger, T|CodeSiteLogger class, destinations, formatters, etc.

CSDispatcher Port conflicts and network slow down

Postby ToddFlora » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:56 pm

Hi Ray,

Working for a new company now. RetailPro. We have a couple of questions about Codesite XE3 edition v5.1.2

1) Attached is a log file that contains Port errors, Can you please explain why this would happen.

Our configuration is such that at least two dispatchers are starting on a given system. One under the SYSTEM User and the other under the logged in user. We don't know if the port errors should be of concern but just wanted to ask about them in lieu of our second issue:

2) We are seeing a slow down on our server when our replication service is running, it generates a lot of log entries when it has a number of rows of data to replicate. We noticed that while this service is running the client traffic slows down to a crawl. After some research we found that the CSDispatcher.exe process was using around 500 megs of memory. As soon as we kill this process on the server, the slow down immediately stops and the workstations seem to be back to speed.

So the question here: Is it possible in this scenario that CSDispatcher is somehow throttling the socket because it is receiving too many messages and it is therefore slowing down the server and or the network?

I know my questions lack details, and are really more circumstancial than anything else but any insight you can provide would be appreciated. Later on in the week if we have this circumstance occur again, I will try and get access to the machine before the QA folks do anything so I can get more details.

Also any suggestions you can provide me as to how I can debug this issue would also be appreciated.

Thanks,

Todd Flora.
ToddFlora

Re: CSDispatcher Port conflicts and network slow down

Postby Raize Support » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:50 pm

Hi Todd,

The first thing of concern is having 2 instances of the CodeSite Dispatcher (CSDisptacher.exe) running on your system. Only one should be running. However, this situation can occur when applications that are running in a different window station than the desktop user try to send a CodeSite message. An example of this is a service. Services run in a separate window station and do not have access to the user desktop. There are special steps that need to be taken to log from services as outlined in the Help.

So, with that said, what kinds of applications are sending CodeSite messages on your machines? And where are you sending those messages? Log File, Live Viewer? Also, what version of Windows are you running?

Ray
Raize Software Support
Raize Software
http://www.raize.com
Raize Support

Re: CSDispatcher Port conflicts and network slow down

Postby ToddFlora » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:06 pm

Hi Ray,

Our DLL's run inside of Apache which is running as a service, additionally we have client software that is running in the desktop space.

And so Yes that is exactly what we determined yesterday and we did find the help pages on how to setup for a service. We have since modified our code to have the connection use TCPIP rather than WM_CopyData

So now we have one dispatcher running on the desktop that both the client and the Apache Windows service are communicating with.

We use both file and Live viewer in our destination based on the properties that are set.

We are testing this to see if our slow down issues go away.

Thanks for the quick response.

Todd.
ToddFlora

Return to Loggers