CSDispatcher.exe fails to start with Error

CodeSite Dispatcher, CodeSite Viewers, CodeSite Controller

CSDispatcher.exe fails to start with Error

Postby ToddFlora » Thu May 09, 2013 1:41 pm

Hi again Ray, Another small problem.

On one of our customers machine's when our application starts it is trying to start CSDispatcher.exe in the same folder as our app, c:\Program Files\<OurAppName>

Our customer gets the following error:

CodeSiteDispatcher: Cannot create file "c:\program
Files\<OurAppName>\CSDispatcherLog.txt". Access is denied.

Another another error follows:
Access violation at address 005F0B30 in module
'CSDispatcher.exe'. Read of address 00000000.

Why is CSDispatcher attempting to write to this file? If they are not running with Admin rights then C:\Program Files is read only to them and so I can see possibly why this is happening. Do we now need to require our users to run with Admin rights?

Thanks,

Todd.
ToddFlora

Re: CSDispatcher.exe fails to start with Error

Postby Raize Support » Thu May 09, 2013 8:38 pm

What version of Windows is being used? Also, what version of CodeSite are you using?

The CSDispatcherLog.txt is written to the C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Raize\CodeSite\5.0 directory.

Ray
Raize Software Support
Raize Software
http://www.raize.com
Raize Support

Postby ToddFlora » Tue May 14, 2013 11:12 am

Ray,

As can be seen by the message I sent you the Dispatcher for some reason is not writing to the User location but rather the Program Files Location.

Also the version of CodeSite is Delphi XE3 CodeSite Express 5.1.2.

As far as the Windows Version goes, I am not sure since I did not get a log file. I have asked the support person to query the customer as to her windows version. I will let you know.

Thanks,

Todd.
ToddFlora

Postby ToddFlora » Tue May 14, 2013 10:29 pm

Ray,

The User is running Windows 7 Home Premium as her OS, again we have Codesite 5.1.2 (Bundled with XE3)

Also she did not have Admin rights turned on for the user she was using. We suggested that she add these rights to her user and the issue went away, so I would suspect that unbeknownst to you, that maybe it is possible that somewhere the software is writing to the wrong folder.

To help you test Here is the exact scenario

1) Login to a Non Development Machine with a user that does not have Admin Rights and one that does not have CodeSite Tools Installed, so that there are no registry entries etc.
2) Application Installed in the c:\Program Files (x86)\<AppName> folder.
3) CSDispatcher.exe copied to the same folder, again without ToolsInstaller.
4) On startup The application changes to the above directory just before it starts Logging, to ensure CSDispatcher.exe will start
5) Application then Setups a File Destination and calls CodeSite.Send to generate a Log Entry.

The error should occur at this point. Our user is happy for now with Admin rights on, but it might be suggested that we should not have to suggest this.

Thanks, Hope all is well.

Todd.
ToddFlora

Postby Raize Support » Thu May 16, 2013 1:30 am

Thanks for the additional information. However, what is strange is that the CSDispatcherLog file is not getting written to the user's AppData\Local directory.

In looking at the code, the Dispatcher first tries to get the CSIDL_LOCAL_APPDATA special folder location and then tacks onto it the Raize\CodeSite\5.0 path. Since older versions of Windows do not support all of the special folders, we check the return value from the GetSpecialFolderPath API function. The result is empty, we set it to the directory of the executable, which is fine for old versions of Windows.

What is strange is that Windows 7 does support the special folders and there should be no trouble getting to the users local AppData directory. Is it possible that this particular system was locked down so as to remove the local app data location?

Ray
Raize Software Support
Raize Software
http://www.raize.com
Raize Support

Return to Tools