Live Viewer autoshowing

CodeSite Dispatcher, CodeSite Viewers, CodeSite Controller

Live Viewer autoshowing

Postby ElCondor1969 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:41 am

Hello!
I'm testing your well done CodeSite and I find it very satisfying.
I have a question.
One of my test application sends log messages by live mode.
Because of this, when the application starts, the Dispatcher is executed automatically and automatically launches and running the Live Viewer that displays the log messages received.
My question is the following.
Okay that the Dispatcher is automatically launched to run, but there is a way for the Live Viewer is not?
In fact, our applications will run as a Windows service and we do not want the automatic appearance of any window.
We want to launch the Live Viewer manually, only when needed.
Is possible to prevent the automatic execution of the Live Viewer?
Thank you in advance.

Sergio.
ElCondor1969

Re: Live Viewer autoshowing

Postby Raize Support » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:10 am

Hi Sergio,

Where a CodeSite message ends up depends on the Destination that is being used. The default destination is the Live Viewer. When the Live Viewer is the destination, the Dispatcher will always try to start the Live Viewer if it is not currently running. For instance, suppose you send a CodeSite message, the Dispatcher gets started and then the Live Viewer gets started. You then close the Live Viewer. Then, your app sends another CodeSite message. The Dispatcher will restart the Live Viewer in order to display the message.

To prevent the Live Viewer from starting, you need to use a different destination. Specifically a CodeSite Log File. The Getting Started section in the CodeSite Help provides a step-by-step tutorial on performing File-Based Logging. After setting up the log file destination, every time your app sends a CodeSite Message, the Dispatcher will store it in the log file. You can then using the File Viewer to load the log file and analyze it.

Actually, when dealing with Windows Services, you will need to send your messages to a log file because of the way Windows handles interprocess communications between the service window station and the user desktop. There is additional information in the CodeSite Help. In summary, you need to call the ConnectUsingTcp method so that the CodeSite messages from your service app can reach the Dispatcher. Furthermore, your messages should be stored in a log file and not be directed to the Live Viewer because Windows will block the CodeSite messages from getting from the Dispatcher to the Live Viewer.

Ray
Raize Software Support
Raize Software
http://www.raize.com
Raize Support

Re: Live Viewer autoshowing

Postby ElCondor1969 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:11 am

Hi Ray.
Thank you very much for your quick and helpful response.
Now everything is clear.
Bye!

Sergio.
ElCondor1969

Return to Tools