Logfile on another computer

Post questions here regarding the CodeSite Express edition

Logfile on another computer

Postby Ademers » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:45 am

Hi, i use codesite express and i have done what is need to use external logfile and it'S work fine on my computer. My problem is when a customer have a problem and I compile a version with codesite in it, he doesn't create the external logfile, not even an error nothing. So for now i must use the damn ShowMessage.
Ademers

Re: Logfile on another computer

Postby Raize Support » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:15 am

Hi,

I suspect that the issue involves write access permissions to the folder you are trying to save the log file to on the customer's computer. Where are you trying to save the log file? If you are trying to save the log file to the directory where the executable is located (e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\SomeDirectory ), this will most likely fail because Windows prevents writing to this directory by default.

Ray
Raize Software Support
Raize Software
http://www.raize.com
Raize Support

Postby Ademers » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:25 am

Sorry, i Should have told you that, i already try some test in different folder i.e. Mydocument, Mydesktop, c:\temp etc.. and nothing happend.

Thank for the help.
Ademers

Postby Raize Support » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:55 am

Ok. Next step. Did you install the CodeSite Tools on the customer machine? The CodeSite Tools includes the CodeSite Dispatcher, which is responsible for writing out the log file. I suspect that the Tools were not installed and the CodeSite loggers are getting disabled when you send a CodeSite message because the Dispatcher is not installed.

Ray
Raize Software Support
Raize Software
Raize Support

Postby Ademers » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:44 pm

Hello, when you talk about 'codeSite Tool' do you mean 'codeSite express' ? i didn't install any Codesite program on the costumer computer ! I was thinking the write to log just "write to log" without any external need. By the way sorry for my english, it's not my birth language.
Ademers

Postby Raize Support » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:04 pm

Hi,

Let me explain. CodeSite comes in two editions: CodeSite Express and CodeSite Studio. The CodeSite Express edition provides basic logging functionality while the CodeSite Studio edition provides many more features and capabilities.

Regardless of the edition that is being used, CodeSite logger instances are used to capture data and then send that information to the CodeSite Dispatcher. The CodeSite Dispatcher is a separate process that coordinates all CodeSite messages from any applications sending CodeSite messages and then dispatches them to a destination.

For CodeSite Express, the supported destinations are the Live Viewer and a CodeSite Log File. CodeSite Studio supports sending CodeSite messages to remote machines and a web dispatcher.

The CodeSite Dispatcher and the CodeSite Live Viewer (as well as the CodeSite File Viewer) are part of the CodeSite Tools, the set of supporting applications that are freely redistributable. When you install CodeSite Express (or CodeSite Studio), the CodeSite Tools are automatically installed on your development machine along with the source code necessary to use the CodeSiteLogging unit in your code.

When you deploy you application to an end user machine, the CodeSite Dispatcher needs to be installed. The Raize\CS5\Tools directory contains the installer for the CodeSite Tools. The installer can also be downloaded from our website. At a minimum the CodeSite Dispatcher must be installed. By default, the Dispatcher runs in the background.

In the current version of CodeSite, the Dispatcher is necessary to save the log files. In the next version, there will be the ability to not require the Dispatcher, but in certain situations, the Dispatcher will still be necessary. For example, to log messages from multiple applications to the same log file will require the use of the Dispatcher.

Ray
Raize Software Support
Raize Software
Raize Support

Postby Ademers » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:24 am

Hello, thank you i understand more the product. it's an amazing product by the way.
:D
Ademers

Postby Raize Support » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:50 pm

You're welcome, and thank you for the feedback!

Ray
Raize Software Support
Raize Software
Raize Support

Return to Express Edition