CS4 Dispatcher as service and stealth mode

Post questions here regarding the CodeSite Express edition

CS4 Dispatcher as service and stealth mode

Postby JonRobertson » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:36 am

According to the CS4 help: "When the Dispatcher service is started you will usually see the icon appear in the system tray."

Is there a way to install/configure the Dispatcher service to use stealth mode without installing and launching the Controller to change the UI Mode? Can the UI Mode be changed programatically? I've searched the help and this board but I haven't found the answer.

I also can't test this on my Windows 7 development box. I assume the icon does not appear due to Vista's service session isolation. Note that I don't want the dispatcher icon to show, so that's fine. But I'm preparing to deploy to customers that still have Windows Server 2003, and I'd rather not have to install/launch Controller to change the UI Mode.

Thanks
JonRobertson

Re: CS4 Dispatcher as service and stealth mode

Postby Raize Support » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:24 am

Hi Jon,

In the Raize\CS4\Tools (also the Raize\CS5\Tools) directory, there is a file, CodeSiteToolsSetup.txt. This file describes how you can run the CS4_Tools.exe (or CS5_Tools.exe) installer silently as well as how to initialize the Dispatcher UI Mode.

Ray
Raize Software Support
Raize Software
http://www.raize.com
Raize Support

Postby JonRobertson » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:51 am

Ray,

That will work, although not my preferred method. I'd rather not "install" the tools per se. My preference would be to copy CSDispatcher.exe to my application's Program Files folder, run CSDispatcher /install, do some configuration, and then start the service. I'm already doing this, except the configuration, via code in our software update utility.

I believe I can accomplish this by manually writing CSDispatcher.ini to %ProgramData%\Raize\CodeSite\4.0\, particularly the sections [Settings] and [Ports]. (CSDispatcher seems content with the other sections missing, we don't use exclusions, and they're gone in CS5 anyway.) As long as I write/update CSDispatcher.ini while the service is stopped, is there any reason this should be avoided?

Once we upgrade to XE2/XE3, would I be able to do the same, changing the path to %ProgramData%\Raize\CodeSite\5.0\?

Thanks for your advice.

Jon
JonRobertson

Postby Raize Support » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:13 am

Hi Jon,

Running the installer is the easiest way, but it is not the only way to initialize the UI Mode. You can also run the CSDispatcher executable and pass -INIT_STEALTH as a command line parameter.

You can also modify the CSDispatcher.ini file as you suggested in your post.

Ray
Raize Software Support
Raize Software
http://www.raize.com
Raize Support

Return to Express Edition