SetCurrentThreadName versus Thread ID

Post questions here regarding the CodeSite Express edition

SetCurrentThreadName versus Thread ID

Postby JonRobertson » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:27 am

Suppose I have multiple threads that have been given the same "thread name". Is there a way I can get to the underlying Thread ID for the CodeSite message? I can't find a way.

I would love to see "Thread Name" and "Thread ID" as separate options. For example, in the list of columns that can be in a view and the organize/auto organize features. I could include the Thread ID in my thread's name. But I'd like the flexibility of determining during analysis whether I need to group those threads together or separate them.

I'm using CSEE 4. I've reviewed the What's New for CS5 and didn't see anything mentioned, although I may have missed it. We have XE2/XE3 but have unfortunately not been able to migrate to them yet. (Hopefully we will soon.)

Thanks
JonRobertson

Re: SetCurrentThreadName versus Thread ID

Postby Raize Support » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:34 am

When the CodeSite Logger captures the message details, it uses the current Thread ID to lookup a mapped ThreadName, if one has been defined in the CodeSiteManager. If no mapping exists, then the Thread ID itself is used as the Thread Name. The Thread Name is passed along in the CodeSite message, but the original Thread ID is not. If you need the Thread ID, then you will need to include that in your custom Thread Name.

Ray
Raize Software Support
Raize Software
http://www.raize.com
Raize Support

Re: SetCurrentThreadName versus Thread ID

Postby JonRobertson » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:47 am

Thanks Ray.

Please consider a future enhancement to always include the Thread ID in the logged message, and options in the viewers to view/organize by the Thread ID. (When the thread has not been named, Thread Name and Thread ID would be the same.)

I understand the importance of keeping the base message as small as possible. Hopefully an integer value for the Thread ID isn't a major hit.

Now that I'm really using Express, I'm seeking budget approval to purchase Studio. Keeping fingers crossed. :ugeek:
JonRobertson

Return to Express Edition