Send to viewer only when manually opened.

Post questions here regarding the CodeSite Express edition

Send to viewer only when manually opened.

Postby billegge » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:07 am

Can you tell me if this is possible and how?

I have a web application and a service which I want to log to a file. Also, I want it to log to the viewer but only when I open the viewer manually. I do not want the viewer to start automatically.
billegge

Re: Send to viewer only when manually opened.

Postby Raize Support » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:56 pm

Interesting request. The transport of the CodeSite messages is controlled in the direction of the application code to the dispatcher, on to the destination. It does not go the other way. You could open the log file with the CodeSite File Viewer and then refresh the display to get the newly added messages.

Ray
Raize Software Support
Raize Software
http://www.raize.com
Raize Support

Re: Send to viewer only when manually opened.

Postby billegge » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:39 am

If you were interested in a way to implement this, I have done something similar in the past with a database application.

I essentially created a subscriber type service that contained named mailboxes, I called them mail boxes but really they were named subscriber groups. When you send a message to a mailbox it gets distributed to all subscribers of that mailbox. Also, you could send a message to a non existent mailbox or subscribe to a non existent mailbox. If you subscribed to a non existent mailbox then the mailbox got created. If you sent a message to a non existent mailbox then nothing happened. Anyone can send and receive to a mailbox. It created a neat little loosely coupled communication network.

For Codesite, I think this could open the door to a neat feature of a user being able to connect to a internet facing dispatcher with a specific user or machine or customer ID as the mailbox name, the remote "service center" could then subscribe to that mailbox and start receiving Codesite messages.

If it helps for clarity, here was my use case.

I had a patient database on a server and clients connected to it through a homegrown TCPIP server. The client application listed graphical icons of the patients (patient pictures) which it got from the server. Each patient had a unique ID and that ID was the mailbox name. When a patient was modified, all clients received an update notification through the patients mailbox and I was able to instantly update the UI.

I had several mailboxes, such as ones that pointed to the patient list so that I could receive "adds".
billegge

Return to Express Edition