Initial Installation

Home Forums CodeSite Initial Installation

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Barry Wood
      Participant

Hi
        I’ve just installed v5.3.3 from GitHub, wanting to test how useful it is to me. I was hoping for some documentation somewhere to show how to get started, but couldn’t see any. Also, when I tried to open the CodeSiught Help I get an error saying ‘Codesight Help file (CodeSite5.chm) could not be found. I searched my C: drive for this file and it isn’t found.

I uninstalled, then started Rio as Administrator and went through this again, but the same error message in not finding the .chm file came.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ray Konopka
        Keymaster

Hi Barry,

Thank you for the report. We apologize for the inconvenience. There is an issue with the CodeSite Express installer. We are working on fixing the issue and sending a new installer to Embarcadero for use in the GetIt Package Manager. In the meantime, you can download the CodeSite Help file from the following link:

https://raize.com/wp-content/uploads/CodeSite5Help.zip

Unzip the CodeSite5.chm file and copy it to the Raize\CS5\Help directory.

Ray

Barry Wood
          Participant

Ray,

Thanks, downloaded OK. I created a Help directory under C:\Program Files (x86)\Raize\CS5 and now the help file comes up when I click the Help links in the applications.

However, there is no content, just the ‘Contents’, ‘Links’ show information.

Barry Wood
            Participant

I’ve just installed the Rio 10.3.1 version, and now installed Codesight Express 5.3.2 from Getit. The Help does come up but as mentioned above there is no details on any of the Content links. Why is this? Is it going to be fixed soon?

Ray Konopka
              Keymaster

Hi Barry,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I checked out the CodeSite5.chm file and it worked fine for me. I then downloaded the zip file from the link above just to make sure something didn’t happen to the file during the zipping/uploading process. I downloaded the zip file to my system and saved it to a shared drive that my VM has access to.

Sure enough, when I opened the help file, I did see the issues that you described. That is, the table of contents is displayed, but the content view pane is empty. Very odd indeed.

Then I remembered that the CodeSite5.chm file was located on a network drive (from the point of view of my VM) and so I moved the file to a directory on the VM’s local drive. Then the help file was opened correctly. I believe the content display issue is a result of the Windows HtmlHelp viewer and not the help file itself, as I see the same issue with other *.chm files on a network drive.

Where precisely is the CodeSite5.chm file located on your system?

Ray

Barry Wood
                Participant

Ray,

As mentioned above I put the file in: C:\Program Files (x86)\Raize\CS5\Help

After installing CS5 the Help directory didn’t exist, so I created it. Before this the help just wouldn’t show, after it showed OK apart from the details.

Ray Konopka
                  Keymaster

I apologize for the delay. Had to do some more research on this. The help file itself is valid and does have all the content. However, after some research I believe I have discovered the issue. Apparently, Microsoft has added more security checks on HtmlHelp files (*.chm) in recent releases of Windows. As a result, if a file is marked as being downloaded from the Internet, then the content page of the HtmlHelp file is blanked. The solution is to right-click on the help file and select Properties. At the bottom of the property page you will see a button to Unblock the file. After unblocking the file, you will then be able to see the content.

Ray

Barry Wood
                    Participant

Ray,

Sorted.

Many thanks for your persistence in resolving this issue. I assume downloading the application from Getit wouldn’t have this problem. Good to know Microsoft are looking after us…

Now to use Codesite 🙂

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.