Questions about CodeSite studio

Have a CodeSite question that doesn't fit into any of the forums below? Post it here.

Questions about CodeSite studio

Postby costab » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:54 pm

Hello:

I am using Delphi XE5. The requirements for my app are:

a. Local logging, i.e. the app creates a local log file on the client’s computer
b. Remote logging, i.e. the app sends log messages (via tcp) to a centralized remote log where one could view all messages from all the users
c. Ability to change the logging behavior at runtime without having to recompile or redeploy the application

Questions:

1. Can I use CS Studio to satisfy all 3 requirements?
2. Can you please confirm that the dispatcher app can be installed a windows service on the remote server? If the answer is Yes, is the dispatcher subject to any security settings, or is it pretty much open to any requests?
3. Do you support configuration files in the library for Delphi, or do I have to code it by hand? If you do support configuration files, does the library detect the configuration file changes?
4. For b) can you please confirm that the dispatcher app can handle simultaneous logging calls from different computers?
5. Can I use CS Studio to log messages to a SQL table or tables?
6. Can I log messages to the Windows event log?
7. Can I use CS Studio to send errors via email?
8. Do you support rolling/rotating log files?
9. Do you provide the source code along with the binaries?
10. Are the OSX & IOS platforms supported, i.e. can OSX/IOS delphi apps log messages using your library?

Thank you
costab

Re: Questions about CodeSite studio

Postby Raize Support » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:21 am

Hi,

I apologize for the delay in responding to your questions, but let me answer each of your questions.

1. Yes, CodeSite Studio supports all three of your requirements.

2. Yes, the Dispatcher can be installed as a service. Detailed instructions on how to do that are included in the CodeSite Help. The Dispatcher will monitor TCP connections on the specified port (default 3434).

3. There is no configuration file for Delphi, but you could certainly use one if you would like to allow changing certain settings without having to recompile your application.

4. Yes, a CodeSite Dispatcher running on a computer can handle simultaneous logging calls from other computers.

5. CodeSite does not provide direct support for logging to a database, but there is an OnSendMsg event on the TCodeSiteLogger class that allows a developer to hook into the sending process. A developer could use this event to see all of the message details about to be logged and write the data to a different store (e.g. a database table). The event handler is also passed a Handled parameter, which if set to True prevents the message from being sent onto the Dispatcher.

6. CodeSite Studio does include support for the Windows Event Log, but not as a destination. Microsoft does not recommend blasting a lot of messages to the Event Log, which would occur if the Event Log was setup as a destination. Instead, the TCodeSiteLogger class defines the LogEvent, LogWarning, and LogError methods that make is very easy to write messages to the Windows Event Log.

7. The OnSendMsg event handler described in #5 could also be used to check the message type and if the message represents an error, the event handler could be coded to send an email message.

8. The LogFile destination has several different configuration options. The MaxSize and MaxParts are particularly important in managing the amount of logging information being captured. The MaxSize property controls how big a CodeSite Log File can become. When the size of the log file exceeds the MaxSize, then a new log file part is automatically created. If MaxParts is specified, then when the number of parts reaches the max value, the oldest log file part is automatically deleted.

9. Source code is included for all code that is linked into a developer's project. That is, the source code for all of the logging classes is provided. The source code for the CodeSite Tools (Dispatcher, Controller, Viewers) is not included.

10. The current version of CodeSite Studio does not support OSX or iOS, but support for these platforms will be coming in a future release.

Again, I apologize for the delay in answering your questions. If you have any others, please do not hesitate to ask.

Ray
Raize Software Support
Raize Software
http://www.raize.com
Raize Support

Return to General