Is your VCL Styling demo proprietary?

Have a Raize Components question that does not fit into any of the forums below? Post it here.

Is your VCL Styling demo proprietary?

Postby Dr_Bob_MILLER » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:27 pm

Hi -

I am a long time user of your products, and have gotten an Embarcadero license to KS Controls. I use these in my own products. I would expect that pasting a few lines of source code from your big demo program, into the source code of my own product (which is only delivered in compiled, binary form) would not cause any heartburn, right?

What I did was to paste into my product the code that lets your demo dynamically change its appearance when you select a new VCL Style from your ComboBox in the Raize Components demo. You see, I found that applying VCL Styling to a new version of my own product gave it a really surprising improvement in appearance. I have uploaded a screen shot of my product's main form to show you what I mean.

The reason I borrowed your code was that the best improvement in appearance came from applying a rather dark VCL Style: Golden Graphite. I figured that some folks might like the ability to change to a lighter theme, so I swiped your code that makes that easy for them to change the VCL style, like your Raize Components demo does. It works a treat.

But here is the real question. My product generates source code for both a PC program and a microcontroller that is connected to the PC via USB. Since our customers customize the appearance and behavior of the generated PC program, they would be interested in being able to add that capability to their own customization of my generated code.

To that end, I am considering writing an illustrated blog post for my web site, that shows them how to do that. I would of course credit and endorse you and your products. So the real question is, would my proposed blog post showing them how you did that in your demo, put me in trouble with either you or Embarcadero?

Best regards,

Dr. Bob Miller
Trace Systems, Inc.
Attachments
HMFS_2.png
My product using Golden Graphite VCL style
HMFS_2.png (73.98 KiB) Viewed 4598 times
Dr_Bob_MILLER

Re: Is your VCL Styling demo proprietary?

Postby Raize Support » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:28 pm

I don't see how it would cause any problems. The technique that the demo uses is the same technique I have presented at several conferences including CodeRage. The steps shown are the correct way to dynamically change VCL Styles.

Ray
Raize Software Support
Raize Software
http://www.raize.com
Raize Support

Return to General