Need advice on installing components into Delphi versions

Have a Raize Components question that does not fit into any of the forums below? Post it here.

Need advice on installing components into Delphi versions

Postby Dr_Bob_MILLER » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:26 pm

I have been using your stuff for years, and have been envious of your very convenient installers that figure out which versions of Delphi or C++ Builder or RAD Studio are present, and which then install your wonderful components.

I have a product that generates source code for USB developers, which supplies some Delphi components in compiled form. I "sort of" know where to look in the Registry for different Delphi versions, but I suspect that there are some traps for the unwary -- like what happens if a customer has installed Delphi or RAD Studio in a non-default location on their hard drive.

Can you give me any advice about things to watch out for? Problems to avoid?

Your sage advice on this subject would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Dr_Bob_MILLER

Re: Need advice on installing components into Delphi version

Postby Raize Support » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:08 pm

Determining the installation directory of Delphi is handled by querying the Registry. Specifically, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Embarcadero\BDS\{Version}

However, the actual key may actually be in the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\WOW6432Node\Embarcadero\BDS\{Version}
if you are running under a 64-bit version of Windows.

The RootDir value in each key gives you the full path to the installation directory of Delphi.

Ray
Raize Software Support
Raize Software
http://www.raize.com
Raize Support

Return to General