Dispatcher run as service

CodeSite Dispatcher, CodeSite Viewers, CodeSite Controller

Dispatcher run as service

Postby janr » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:48 am

Hello,

I'm trying to run the dispatcher as a service. However when using the 'Windows Task manager', I see the dispatcher only run as process and not as a service.

I hope you can help me.

Regards, Jan Reynaerts
janr

Re: Dispatcher run as service

Postby Raize Support » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:59 am

Hi Jan,

Did you follow the steps described in the CodeSite Help for running the Dispatcher as a service?

Also, when setup to run as a service, the Dispatcher needs to be running before you run any programs that may generate CodeSite messages. If the Dispatcher service is not running, then an app that sends a CodeSite message will result in the Dispatcher getting started as a regular application.

Ray
Raize Software Support
Raize Software
http://www.raize.com
Raize Support

Postby janr » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:30 am

Hi Ray,

In the CodeSite Help I looked in the item 'Dispatcher', but forgot to look in the item 'Service'. But now it works on some of our machines. Only in my development environment I now have a problem: Until yesterday I used the Dispatcher in my development environment as a 'Process' and that went ok.

- Then I installed the dispatcher as a service, started the service as I did successfully on other machines but it didn't work in my development environment.
- Then I stopped the dispatcher, uninstalled it and start it as a process again, but it still did not work.
- Then I uninstalled the CS4_tools, installed it again, started the dispatcher as a process ( I see the dispatcher running when I use the taskmanager) and it still didn't work.
- Restarting my environment doesn't help either.
- I did this several times. In the windows logging I get the error
Log Name: Application
Source: CSDispatcher.exe
Date: 11-11-2011 13:08:00
Event ID: 0
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: WpDev01.xxx.nl
Description:
The description for Event ID 0 from source CSDispatcher.exe cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

The service process could not connect to the service controller

Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="CSDispatcher.exe" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">0</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-11-11T12:08:00.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>6300</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>WpDev01.xxx.nl</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>The service process could not connect to the service controller</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

I use CSMsgGen to send the logging to the dispatcher. My Development environment is running in a virtual environment and my OS is Windows 7.

I hope you can also help me with this problem.

Regards, Jan Reynaerts
janr

Postby Raize Support » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:16 pm

Hi Jan,

If you bring up the Services applet does the CodeSiteDispatcher service appear in the list? The error message showing up in the Event Log that you included in your message is suggesting that it is still registered as a service.

If the CodeSiteDispatcher entry is still showing up in the list of Services, uninstall it using:

CSDispatcher /uninstall

Then restart the CSMsgGen tool to resend some messages.

Ray
Raize Software Support
Raize Software
http://www.raize.com
Raize Support

Postby janr » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:44 am

Hi Ray,

Because I tried so many configurations, the error, that I sent you probably belonged to the configuration, where I was testing the Dispatcher running as a service.

It however neither worked as a service nor did it work as a process (where I had uninstalled the service).

Finally I uninstalled everything, the dispatcher as a service, the CS4_Tools, 'CodeSite Studio' and 'CodeSite Express' and I removed the Raize directory.

Then I re-installed the CS4_Tools, and tried it again with the CSMsgGen program. Now the problem was solved.

After that I re-installed Codesite Express and CodeSite Studio and it still keeps working.

Regards, Jan
janr

Return to Tools